October 21st, 2008

HID 1000 and LED 700 Canister Lights

By

People ask me which light to get: the HID 1000 or LED 700? The adjustable focus of the HID 1000 has always been popular wih cave divers. The HID adjustable focus lets the light punch through the water in dark caves so you can get a feel for how big a room is rather than feeling you are all alone.  The HID 1000 has more light output than any other light of its size and can double as a video light if you add a reflector.

The LED 700 is the answer to a robust, compact light that can handle being on a boat in rough seas or jostled around during travel. In my opinion, the Sun Spot MR11 was not robust enough for the wreck diver, so now we have a light that can handle being banged around. The LED 700 is the replacement for the previous 10W HID lights, with more light output and increased durability.

Of course, I have both lights. I use the HID 1000 for cave diving at home and the LED 700 for travel, which includes wreck diving as well as destination cave diving.

Lamar

9 Responses to “HID 1000 and LED 700 Canister Lights”

• [...] Sport news by lamar [...]

» HID 1000 and LED 700 Canister Lights »Sport News & Equipment, October 21st, 2008 at 9:51 pm

• [...] HID 1000 and LED 700 Canister LightsIn my opinion, the Sun Spot MR11 was not robust enough for the wreck diver, so now we have a light that can handle being banged around. The LED 700 is the replacement for the previous 10W HID lights, with more light output and increased … [...]

Diving » Technisub Look mask, October 22nd, 2008 at 3:15 am

• Hi Lamar, does Dive Rite have any upgrade program going for the ones who has the H10 HID?
    Thanks
    Luis

Luis Augusto Pedro, November 4th, 2008 at 12:39 pm

• Hi Luis,

Yes, we do have an upgrade program for the H10 to an H1000. Our distributor in Brazil can help you. Here is their contact information:

Um Import Comercio Importacao Ltda (Distributor)
    R. Bela, 426- Sao Cristovao
    Rio De Janeiro
    Brazil
    Phone: 55 21 3860 2308

Thanks for asking,
    Kathleen

kathleen, November 5th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

• I have a question about your statement that the HID1000 would make a good video light with a reflector.

Is the reflector something that you sell? What is the part number?

Why does the LED700 not make a good video light? Is it purely the lesser output or something else?

With the new generation of video capable dSLRs, I plan to have strobes mounted on my camera for still shots, but would also like to be able to use my cannister light to shoot video.

David Anderson, April 11th, 2009 at 11:49 pm

• Thanks to you for this awesome article. I’ve read id for a few months now and they are always very informative. Thanks!

Linnea Shippey, August 22nd, 2010 at 4:14 pm

• I am trying to find out if I can get my LED 500 light upgraded to a LED 700.

Thanks!

Adam Robinson, September 7th, 2010 at 4:22 pm

• Why have you stopped making the LED 700 lights?

Jacques, October 28th, 2010 at 9:28 am

• The LED for the 700 are now obsolete. We’re moving on to the latest generation of LEDs available, plus some exciting technology with a smart microprocessor. The new light, the RX2 LED Slimline, will debut at DEMA next week.

lamar, November 10th, 2010 at 11:41 am