July 5th, 2010

Dive Rite Launches New Fins

By

The EXP Fins are here after months of testing and slow production to ensure they are what they should be. The fins are retro – the original monprene blend that Apollo used. Monprene is the best choice for a high performance blade and exactly what we want in a tech fin. Our blades offer the best blend of power to work ratio.

I have tested a pair for the past three months and knew the formula was right because I found a set of original Apollo fins upstairs to dive against in testing (sorry Dan, I trashed your original Apollo fins while testing). I could swim in high flow for 3 hours nonstop without any calf cramps.

Two weeks ago, I was teaching a cave course the day our full production models arrived so I put both students and the assisting instructor in the blades to test rather than the rubber fins they were wearing. All three guys refused to give them back and bought them on the spot. Their comment was it was the best fin to actually swim with.  A little something most divers don’t think about: in cave diving we swim for miles, nonstop. We aren’t floating and we use a wide variety of kicks. It’s the best environment to test fin performance. If you have doubts come swim with me.

Lamar

ES410 Fin

ES410 Fin

9 Responses to “Dive Rite Launches New Fins”

• Lamar,

I am looking for a light weight fin. I dive turtles and they are a brick to put in luggage. I looked at OMS slipstreams as these are supposed to be light but they are harder to get hold of than rocking-horse droppings. the OMS fins are monprene so I am assuming that your fins are also light. Could you provide a weight for this product? And if possible an idea of their buoyancy characteristics?

Toby, July 5th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

• Lamar,

not a duplicate

Toby, July 5th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

• We purchased 4 sets of these fins for our dive team. These fins were an excellent investment.

Lt. Mark Cecci, July 10th, 2010 at 8:28 pm

• I’m pretty sure I’m one of the guys Lamar was referring to on the “Dive Rite Launches New Fins” post: “Two weeks ago, I was teaching a cave course the day our full production models arrived so I put both students and the assisting instructor in the blades to test rather than the rubber fins they were wearing. All three guys refused to give them back and bought them on the spot. Their comment was it was the best fin to actually swim with.”

He’s right. He would have had to wrestle the new fins off of my unwilling still kicking feet. Great product! Thx Dive Rite. Nef Torres

Nef, July 12th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

• The Dive Rite EXP size large fin weighs 4lbs and is fairly neutral in the water. Hope this helps,
    Kathleen

kathleen, July 15th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

• what’s the difference between apollo prestige fin and dive rite exp fin?

what’s the pros and cons comparing with apollo prestige?

scuba diver, August 24th, 2010 at 9:16 am

• If you can find any Apollo Prestige fins they were produced before 2001. We bought the molds from Apollo when they decided split fins were the way to go. I had been diving the Prestige fins for years and jumped at the opportunity to buy the molds.

We had to move production around to make a competitive product since split fins were the new rage so in doing so various injection molding houses had changed the formula away from the monprene material telling us the new blends were better. It took years to reformulate the materials back to the monprene blend and do field testing to get the performance we needed to be the best technical diving fin available. The weight and propulsion ratio are good and even more important to the technical diver, the fins can push the mass of diver and multiple cylinders against currents. Most of the testing was done in caves where divers swim miles in a day.

Lamar

lamar, August 26th, 2010 at 10:14 am

• Are these fins made in the USA? My original monoprene Dive Rite fins are from the early 90′s, and are stamped “made in USA.” I am the third cave diver to own them, and they look and perform great. The fin that was just recently discontinued is unfortunately stamped “made in China,” and I have seen first-hand 3 pairs of my friend’s Dive Rite fins split on them. This is unfortunate, because I have recommended the Dive Rite fins to them, only to see them fail.

Mike S, August 30th, 2010 at 9:34 pm

• things that make you go hmmmm….

Mike S, September 19th, 2010 at 11:27 pm